Monday, October 13, 2008

Kindergarten Humor

I want to start by saying that I am a HUGE fan of my son's teacher. The man has a doctorate in education, yet teaches Kindergarten. He's been such a source of help so far this year, when I thought for sure I was going to have to drug my kid in order for him to graduate high school (Don't we all jump ahead 12 years in our thought processes? No? Just me? Moving on...).
Every week, Vincent has a poem of the week that he has to memorize. This has needed no effort from me other than on Fridays saying "Tell me the poem of the week".
My favorite aspect of the curriculum is the lamest thing. Do I get impressed that my son can now name the letters that most words start with? No. Am I thrilled that he's already memorized some addition facts, sure, but I figured that would come eventually (ha! some of my students don't have this down yet!). No, the most fulfilling part of my son's education thus far has been... the joke of the day. Each day, when they have circle time, after they've gone over the calendar, the teacher has a riddle on the board that he helps them find the punchline to. Some of my favorites so far:
Why did the man throw the peanut butter into the ocean? So it could be with the jellyfish.
What do ghosts eat? Spook-ghetti
What did the good bee say to the bad bee? "bee-hive!"
I know... I need to get out more.
Today as we were telling jokes back and forth, Vincent started to invent his own after I made some up (I'm not posting mine, they're too lame):
What did the pillow say to the fence? "Jump on the helmet!"
As you can see, we have quite some way to go yet before he fine-tunes his sense of humor. It doesn't matter to me, I love that he's developing this aspect of his personality.
Ok, I'll tell you the least offensive joke that makes me fall into a fit of giggles every time:
Two muffins are baking in an oven. Chocolate chip says to blueberry "Don't you think it's getting a little hot in here?" Blueberry says, "Holy crap! a talking muffin!"

No comments: